As the 2022 World Cup fast approaches, predictions of who will be crowned top goal scorer are beginning to surface. Recent news is that several players from League One could take the crown for top goal scorer at Qatar 2022.
The FIFA World Cup is one of the biggest sporting events in the world, and fans from all over are excited for the 2022 edition hosted by Qatar, with 32 countries playing for the trophy.
The 2026 World Cup, which will be held in the United States, Mexico, and Canada, will feature a larger field of 48 teams, making this year’s event the last to feature a 32-team field.
The dates of this year’s Copa Mundial were moved from the traditional summer months due to the high summer heat in Qatar, but that’s not the only thing that makes it seem unusual. However, the best national teams in football continue to compete for international honors and individual awards, such as the Golden Boot, which is given to the tournament’s best offensive player.
Premier League star Harry Kane of England got the award for his six goals in the last FIFA World Cup, which surely helped soften the impact of the Three Lions’ 2-0 loss to Belgium in the third-place game.
Lionel Messi of Argentina and Cristiano Ronaldo of Portugal, two of the tournament’s best players, will participate in their final games, making them must-watch viewing. In addition to never winning the World Cup, no player has ever been named the tournament’s Golden Boot winner.
France, the current champions, are likely to field Kylian Mbappe and Olivier Giroud, two players who could win the trophy if they play. Keep up with the latest Golden Boot odds, standings, and predictions throughout the competition on ProSoccerTalk and NBC Sports Edge.
Golden Boot Race: Players to Watch
Every four years, some of the best players in soccer come together to compete for their country and individual honors like the Golden Boot. The Golden Boot is awarded to the top goal scorer at each World Cup, and it is a great honor that many soccer stars strive for.
For each World Cup tournament, the player who scores the most goals is presented with the Golden Boot. If two or more players finish the tournament tied for most goals scored, the award will go to the person with the most goals scored that weren’t penalties, and if that doesn’t break the tie, the player with the most assists will win.
Although the tournament’s leading scorer has always been recognized, this honor wasn’t introduced until 1982. Until 2010, it went under The Golden Show, but it was given a new moniker that year.
Top Scorers at the FIFA World Cup 2022:
The 2022 FIFA World Cup is now just around the corner, and excitement is building as some of the world’s best footballers will soon be competing for the coveted title of Golden Boot winner. As teams are finalized, and match-ups are announced, fans worldwide will be eager to find out who the top scorers are at this year’s tournament.
- First, France’s Kylian Mbappe, with 5 points
- Followed by Argentina’s Lionel Messi with 4
- Cody Gakpo of the Netherlands with 3
- France’s Olivier Giroud, with 4
- England’s Marcus Rashford with 3
- Spain’s Alvaro Morata with 3
- Ecuador’s Enner Valencia with 3
- England’s Bukayo Saka with 3
- Brazil’s Richarlison with 3
- Portugal’s Goncalo Ramos with 3.
- Two goals for Croatia’s Andrej Kramaric.
- 2-1, Iran’s Mehdi Taremi
- Two Bruno Fernandes, Portugal
- A. Mohammed Kudus (Ghana) – 2
- South Korean Cho Gue-Sung, 2
- Two goals for Switzerland’s Breel Embolo.
- Two points for Saudi Arabia’s Salem Al Dawsari.
- 2-0, Serbia, Aleksandar Mitrovic
- German player Kai Havertz scored two goals.
- Cameroonian Vincent Aboubakar – 2
- Second Place: Germany’s Niclas Fullkrug
- Two Ritsu Doan (Japan)
- In second place is Giorgian de Arrascaeta of Uruguay.
- Argentinean Julian Alvarez scored 2
- (Poland) Robert Lewandowski, 2 goals.
- Spaniard Ferran Torres has a 2-0 advantage.
- In the Netherlands, Wout Weghorst scored second with a score of 2.
- The Portuguese player Rafael Leao scored two goals.
As we look ahead to next year’s tournament, several contenders have a chance to be named as one of the league’s top scorers. These include Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Neymar Jr., Robert Lewandowski, Luis Suarez, and Harry Kane. Each player has the potential to finish atop the list and make history with their performances on the international stage.
Past Golden Boot Winners (1982-2018):
The Golden Boot is one of the most prestigious awards in league football, awarded to the top goal scorer each season. Since 1982, some of the biggest names in football have won this coveted award.
- Paolo Rossi with six goals in 1982
- Gary Lineker scored six goals in 1996
- Salvatore Schilaci with six goals in 1990
- Oleg Salenko and Hristo Stoichkove with six goals in 1994
- In 1998, Davor Suker scored six times.
- Ronaldo, with eight goals in 2002
- 2006: Miroslav Klose scored five goals.
- Thomas Muller, with five goals in 2010
- James Rodriguez, with six goals in 2014
- Harry Kane with six goals in 2018