There’s no match for the feeling of your endorphins kicking in during a great workout. However, that feeling is usually met with sore and fatigued muscles shortly after. Keep on reading to learn more about how CBD can help aid your muscle recovery.
Explain About Sore Muscles
Before diving into how CBD can help with muscle recovery, it’s important to understand where sore muscles come from and what to expect. To sum it up, every time you exercise specific muscles, you expose your muscles to stress. The stress causes microscopic tears to your muscle fiber, causing you to experience soreness and fatigue. Although this sounds extremely painful, it’s often more uncomfortable than anything. The good news is that every time you cause stress to your muscles, it initiates your immune system to start working to repair the damage you have created, strengthening your immune system and your muscles.
Over time, repeatedly causing damage to your muscles causes them to become bigger and strong to adapt to the needs of your body. When you push your muscles to the max, you send them into a process called hypertrophy, which means muscle building.
Don’t be alarmed if your body feels extremely fatigued after working out, this definitely not uncommon. When you work out your muscles, your body burns energy stores, undergoes complex hormonal changes, and then loses fluid. Once you have completed a workout, you body has to deal with the recovery process of the microscopic damage left behind. This is when your body begins the recovery process.
This process of recovery involves multiple steps, and they all build on one another to help restore balance in your system and relieve stiff, sore muscles. One of the most important steps in muscle recovery involves rest. While we sleep, our body repairs muscle damage, restores hormonal balance, and creates new energy stores for you to utilize when you wake up. In addition, it is important to maintain a balanced, nutrient-dense diet and proper hydration in order to assist your muscles in a quick recovery.
Here are a few tips you can utilize to help expedite the muscle recovery process:
- You can implement foam rolling to help massage out sore muscles. This tool is often used to alleviate soreness and help reduce the amount of time your muscles feel fatigued.
- Many experts recommend that a combination of both dynamic stretching and static stretching can help relieve muscle soreness and improve flexibility.
- Using a combination of these three can help to reduce pain from muscle soreness and injury.
Using CBD For the Recovery Of Muscle
Recent studies have shown that CBD is an effective way to help with muscle recovery. However, it’s important to understand what CBD is before implementing it into your routine. The recent popularity of CBD has caught the attention of many, as it claims to have healing properties and many believed health benefits. CBD, or cannabidiol, is one of many active compounds found within the cannabis plant. However, do not confuse CBD with its close relative, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive component found in the marijuana plant. You should note, CBD doesn’t cause a high or any psychoactive effects. CBD works by interacting with your Endocannabinoid System, signaling to cannabinoid receptors that are throughout your body. This system directs the CBD to where it needs to go in your body.
Research shows that the Endocannabinoid System regulates different parts of the body including inflammation, pain, sleep, mood, appetite, metabolism, and more.
Adding CBD into your muscle recovery routine is quite simple. Because there are so many options out there on the market now, it is likely that you can replace almost all of your current recovery products with one that contains CBD.
- As mentioned above, one of the best ways to help your muscles recovery is by getting adequate rest. If you are someone that struggles with falling asleep or staying asleep, especially when experiencing muscle soreness or fatigue, you should consider implementing CBD edibles such as capsules or tincture oils. These products are easy, discreet, can go with you on-the-go, and provide consistent dosages. If you purchase CBD products, it’s important to study the brand’s directions for use and their recommended dosages. Remember, you can always take less if you would like to, and work your way up to the recommended dosage. Continued research is still needed, but current studies show that consuming CBD before bed can help to manage the feelings of anxiety, relieve joint pain, and promote REM sleep which all help to achieve restful sleep.
- CBD topical products are some of the most popular amongst CBD users. Nowadays, you can find a CBD topical product for just about anything. However, muscle salves and balms have proven to be effective in muscle recovery. Finding a muscle salve or balm with high-quality ingredients is essential if you are looking to add it to your routine. You should be looking for one that has hemp-derived CBD and that is formulated with something that is smooth and hydrating for easy absorption. To use this product, simply apply it to your area of discomfort and rub it in until it is absorbed. You don’t need to worry about using too much or having any adverse effects, so reapply as needed throughout the day.
The CBD market is full of brand new products hitting the shelves. It appears that everyone wants in on the CBD trend, making the product selection expansive. However, before you purchase any CBD online, you should be equipped with a few tools to determine if a product is going to be good for your body or cause more damage.
When looking for the perfect products, find a company that willingly shares their Certificate of Analysis (COAs) and has their lab reports readily available. These two tools help to verify that the claims on their packages are true and ensures that you know exactly what is in the products.
Once you’ve found the brand that is a good fit for your lifestyle, simply ditch and switch! Find which products in your current wellness routine can be replaced by one that features CBD and swap it out.