What is an eco-friendly landscaping
For you to understand the meaning of the term “eco-friendly landscaping,” you first have to have an idea of the definition of landscaping. Landscaping is the process of making a garden or any other piece of land aesthetically pleasing by altering some of its features. Such features include the design, ornamental features, and adding or removing some plants and flowers.
Landscaping can also be referred to as beautification. On the other hand, eco-friendly landscaping, also known as sustainable landscaping, is the process of developing designs aimed at minimizing both the input and output of resources. Garden owners can practice eco-friendly landscaping by treating water as a resource hence using it sparingly.
Soil should also be treated as a valuable resource hence not tampered with a lot (like using extreme chemicals). Another way of practising sustainable landscaping involves maintaining the existing plants as opposed to entirely getting rid of them to create space for new ones. You can also opt to use recycled materials likes salvaged metal or broken concrete.
Roles of eco-friendly landscaping companies
Some of the services provided by eco-friendly companies include;
- Lawn maintenance like mowing and edging- while performing this role, these companies use sustainable materials like recycled and treated water as well as eco-friendly equipment. The firm also practices such activities as mulching, which are also durable.
- Cleaning up- these services fall under the eco-friendly category because cleaning up the lawn (as well as the parking lot, flower beds, sidewalks, patios) helps to eliminate materials that may be harmful to the environment (air, water, soil) like plastic.
- Weeding- this is an integral part of landscaping as it helps the plants blossom.
- Loosening of soil- this helps to keep the soil fertile and also allows the plants to get more nutrients including water
- Trimming shrubs and bushes- this service helps with the beautification aspect of landscaping.
Another part of landscaping is the construction of decking boards.
A deck is a flat surface that can support a substantial amount of weight. It is also very similar to the floor. However, a deck is constructed outdoor. It is usually elevated from the ground and connected to a building like a house. A decking board is the visible part of your deck hence a large part of landscaping as it contributes to the beautification process.
Owing to its strength, decking boards can be used as a chilling spot with picnic tables on top of it. The board can be made from varying materials. However, the most common material for decking boards is wood. The main reason for the popularity of wood is the fact that it is strong hence can withstand massive amounts of weight.
However, eco-friendly decking boards are made from sustainable materials such as Plastic Decking Boards. These plastic decking boards are made from recycled plastic hence the eco-friendly aspect. Reclaimed wood is also a material used in making eco-friendly decking boards because wood is a renewable resource.
However, using materials like paints on your decking board goes against the eco-friendly aspect. It is therefore advised that you use the least toxic chemicals like paint to finish your deck. Composite decking is the way to go when looking towards sustainability.
How to create an Eco-friendly landscape Business plan
A business plan is a document entailing the ins and outs of a business idea. It contains all the essential requirements for starting a business. It is used by potential business owners to attract investors and financiers. For instance, a business plan can be presented in a bank while requesting for a loan. The document also helps with the process of starting a business as it entails all the aspects of the company that are relative to success.
An eco-friendly landscaping business plan is a document prepared by a potential landscaping business owner containing all the requirements of starting the business. The following contents should be included in a landscaping business plan:
- An industry overview- this is the section of the business plan that gives a brief overview of the industry in which you wish to start the business. In this case, it is an overview of the eco-friendly landscaping industry. Information in an overview includes the history of the industry.
- An executive summary- this section of the business plan should entail the location in which you wish to start the company and the reason why you chose the location. You can also include the potential clients and market, services that your company will offer, stakeholders in the company as well as the employees. As the name suggests, the segment contains a summary of all the sections of the document.
- Services provided- this section of the document comprises of the services provided. For a landscaping business, such services include landscape architecture, trimming, snow ploughing, clean up weeding beds, and landscaping maintenance services.
- The mission and vision statements- this segment should contain the full mission and vision statements.
- Business structure- this segment details the location (central and subsidiaries) of the company, and the leadership structure from the Chief Operating Officer to the field staff and their roles as well as responsibilities.
- SWOT Analysis- This part details the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and potential threats to the business.
- Market analysis- this part of the document contains details on the market trends, the target market, and the business’ competitive advantage.
- Sales and Marketing strategy- this part gives a detailed idea of how the business intends to market and sell its products or service. It also comprises of the payment options, pricing and pricing strategies, and the process of marketing and selling.
- Publicity and advertising strategy- this section comprises of full details on how you intend to publicize your business and services.
- Budget and expenditure for the startup this part of the document contains information on the amount of money required to start the business as well as how the funds will be used.
Other aspects of a landscaping business plan are:
- The financial projection
- Sales forecast
- And a strategy for expansion and sustainability