Selection of a video game is largely a matter of your personality and taste. Therefore, to select the right video game you must have a knowledge of different categories of video games and a detailed description of the game before you buy it. In this article we will discuss a few important things you need to be careful about while choosing the right video game to play.
Have a knowledge of different genres
The first step to choose a video game is to have an understanding of different genres of video games to select a genre that matches your personality or is in accordance with your interests. Here are some video game genres with a brief description:
- Adventure games: logical thinking, problem solving, pattern recognition
- Fighting games: hand-eye coordination and quick reasoning,
- Shooting games: team management, quick reasoning, and performing under pressure hand-eye coordination
- Arcade/Platform games: time management, fast reasoning, hand-eye coordination, and spatial recognition
- Puzzle games: Logical thinking, pattern recognition, and problem-solving
- Racing games: Spatial recognition, hand-eye coordination, and fast reasoning
- Role Playing games: Problem recognition and solving, communication, time management, deeper decision making, and inductive reasoning.
- Simulation games: Problem-solving, decision making, and Creativity.
- Sports games: Fast reasoning, hand-eye coordination, objective focused, and performing under pressure
- Strategy games: Logical thinking, problem recognition and solving, organization, and time management Strategy games – requires planning, making strategic decisions, and managing limited resources to win
- Survival games: Creativity, problem-solving, fast reasoning, and quick decision making
Ensure the compatibility of both your hardware and video game:
All video games are not available on all platforms. Some can be played only on PC via download or on services like Steam while others are available only on specific gaming consoles or mobile devices. Therefore, it’s essential to ensure that your device meets the minimum hardware requirements of the game you choose. Thus, after selecting a game genre of your choice, look for the compatibility of gaming hardware you have.
To find the right video game of the interested genre is also quite a task. There are many ways you can seek assistance such as from:
- Sales Staff: Mostly, the video game stores have staff who have a good knowledge on video games. Therefore it’s better to tell them your interests and formats you prefer.
- Internet: Read information and reviews from the internet or gaming magazines on popular video games genres..
- Join an online forum: There are many websites and online forums which allow gamers to share their opinions and discuss their strategies. You can ask them to recommend you some games if their interests match yours
Know the rating
Before buying a game read its ratings and reviews, it will help you a lot to know about the game’s format, graphics and other tools.
Ensure a return policy
Before purchasing a video game it’s important to check if it has an exchange policy and if it has, then what does it say? For sometimes you have to try out the game for yourself to know how it plays or can it be exchanged with another.