Structural steel is the reliable material used in constructing residential and commercial buildings. It is used in bridges, aircraft hangers, monuments and buildings. Every structure that is made of steel, it is certainly assumed to be the eco-friendly, highly durable and robust structure.
Here we have put up the guide on steel cost estimating. Be it the construction of any scope and level, estimating the steel cost material accurately is a must-to-do task. You can check out the details and share with us if any ambiguity comes:
On which factors cost of steel depends?
It is on basically two variables that cost of steel is based on:
- The type of steel determines its final price.
- The total amount of steel required to complete the project decides its total cost. Whether you are doing steel take offs or lumber framing take-off reports, finding out the quantity is important. Structural steel is priced based on its weight. Before you estimate the cost, it is recommended to find out how much quantity of steel you need.
- Furthermore, the quality of steel influences its price.
- When preparing estimates, include the cost of castings, fittings and hardware because they are always needed for erecting steel structures.
- The total quotation is determined by adding the cost of labor.
- The price of raw materials is constantly changing and depends primarily on supply, demand as well as energy prices.
Estimating steel cost- Complete guide
The average cost of per ton steel is around and about $700 to $800. Rest, you can keep in mind the above-mentioned variables that determine how the final price of steel is decided.
- It is seen that structural beams and angle stock are more budget-friendly than high-strength specialty alloys.
- On the other hand, stainless steelshave a high cost than carbon steel. Their price is four to five times more. The estimated cost of carbon steel is $500 per ton. And the approximate price of stainless steel is $2000 per ton.
- It is generally assumed that the more alloying elements any steel remains composed of, the high its price will be. It is the universal rule that is accepted and followed worldwide.
- 316L austenitic steel, for instance, costs or less 22percent Chromium grade stainless.
- Compared to the 25% Chromium composite stainless, the 13% Chromium ferritic stainless has a lower carbon content.
- The cost of metal metallic materials is largely the same as the cost of duplex stainless steels.
- In addition, the most expensive steel is Inconel 600. It is the officially registered trademark of Special Metals. And it belongs to the family of nickel-chromium-based super-alloys. Its estimated price is $40000 per ton.
- The cheapest and most budget-friendly stainless steel is It belongs to the plain chromium stainless steel category. This respective steel is only appropriate for high temperatures. Low price is charged because this steel type is packed with the lowest chromium content.
Step-by-step method to perform steel estimating
- The first step is to group the structural steel by their type and grade.
- Group the structural steel according to their respective method of tied connection.
- Nest, you have to maintain sequence of steel structures with respect to the columns and details.
- Specify where beams and other detailing are needed per floor.
- Take off quantities linked with bracing and flooring.
- Remember to estimate quantities of plates, connectors as well as beams, and other accessories.
Why steel has become a crucial element in constructing residential or commercial buildings?
Steel is the fundamental material in residential and commercial construction. The increased lumber prices have pushed home-owners to switch from timber products to steel. In addition, steel materials are available in more design elements, show extensive resistance to termites- all these factors have fueled the demand of steel.
Apart from that, steel provides immense earthquake and wind-resistance. People no longer prefer having wood ceiling and they have shifted their preference to steel ceiling joists.
Steel offers wide number of design possibilities and push architects and builders to think more creatively while building a house. The only disadvantage is that steel conducts heat and cold. It means that it will likely to negatively impact your home’s energy efficiency. However, all thanks to technological advancement, this problem is solved because steel frames are now wrapped in insulation boards.
Application of Steel
- Steel is used in making floor joists.
- Its use is common in floor bearers and columns that primarily elevate houses off the ground surface.
- Steel remains commonly used in wall framing.
- You can use it in roof sheeting.
Thus, steel is an excellent and 10% durable building material. It has become a top pick among architects, contractors and builders for residential and commercial buildings. For more details on steel cost estimating guide, stay in touch with us.