Giovanni Reyna Opens Up About Qatar 2022 World Cup Fallout

The United States Men’s National Team is going through a tough time after getting knocked out of the FIFA World Cup. One player who seems to be taking it the hardest is Giovanni Reyna, son of USMNT Coach and former professional soccer player Claudio Reyna.

The USMNT’s Giovanni Reyna was surprised that the fallout from the team’s early exit from the FIFA World Cup wasn’t kept “in house.” In a post on Instagram, Reyna said he hoped what had happened would remain private but felt compelled to respond after multiple reports in the United States detailed the reasons for his lack of playing time.

Manager Gregg Berhalter’s comments from a press conference on Tuesday were made public on Sunday, revealing that Reyna had exhibited a lack of effort in training and a pre-World Cup friendly and that he had been asked to apologize to the team for his behavior in the days leading up to the tournament.

Reyna didn’t start a match but played in the second half of the USA’s 3-1 round-of-16 loss to the Netherlands in Qatar 2022. The midfielder acknowledged that he was unhappy with how things ended at the tournament and wanted to clarify any misconceptions about his attitude or professionalism. 

“I am disappointed that there is continuing coverage of this matter (as well as some highly fictionalized versions of events) and extremely surprised that anyone on the U.S men’s team staff would contribute to it, ” Reyna wrote. “Coach Berhalter has always said that issues that arise with the team will stay ‘in house’ so we can focus on team unity and progress.”

The World Cup is a pinnacle event in soccer, and Gregg Berhalter’s announcement that he would have a “very limited” role at this year’s tournament was devastating to him. According to reports, he didn’t handle the news well and was visibly upset.

“I am also a very emotional person, and I fully acknowledge that I let my emotions get the best of me and affect my training and behavior for a few days after learning about my limited role,” Reyna added. “I apologized to my teammates and coach for this, and I was told I was forgiven. Thereafter, I shook off my disappointment and gave everything I had on and off the field.”

On Monday, Reyna concluded his Instagram post with the following statement: “I love my team, I love representing my country, and I am focusing now only on improving and growing as a soccer player and a person. “I hope that going forward each person involved in U.S Soccer focuses only on what is in the best interest of the men’s national team so we can enjoy great success at the World Cup in 2026.”

Share on:

Leave a Comment