Very often the question is whether it is possible to perform roofing work in winter, it is cheaper or more expensive. What kind of roofing can be done in winter, and what can not. We will try to answer these questions and dispel some misconceptions.
It is possible to build a roof in winter, in some cases it is even necessary, and sometimes completely contraindicated.
If you take as a basis the main roofing cake – rafters, water vapor barrier, insulation, stepping crate – all this can be done at any time of year. As for the top cover, in winter you can perform turnkey roofing of metal tiles, corrugated board and natural (ceramic, and cement-sand) tiles. But the installation of flexible soft shingles will have to be postponed until a steady positive temperature.
Sometimes the main types of roofing work is done in winter even faster than in summer and that’s why.
We must understand that many roofing work is very dependent on the weather, good weather – work, bad – sit.
Good weather – temperature from minus 15C to plus 30C, no rainfall in the form of rain and heavy snowfall, wind does not exceed 15 m/s. Bad weather – the temperature is below 15°C or above 30°C, precipitation in the form of rain or heavy snow, the wind speed of which exceeds 15 m/s.
Please pay attention to the rainfall – roofing works can not be carried out practically in any rain, but in case of not very heavy snow it is quite possible to carry out roofing works. In addition, in case of any snowfall there are no leaks, which is very important for reconstruction or repair work on the roof. Rainy weather in summer sometimes significantly complicates the life of roofers, but for a roofing company near south Florida in winter there are no obstacles to work.
Yes, the light day in winter is shorter, but this is easily eliminated by installing additional lighting in the workplace.
The cost of roofing work and materials is an important factor.
There is a myth that it is much cheaper to install roofing in winter than in summer. This is not true – the cheapest roofing work is done in the short period of spring from mid-March to late April. But the cost of roofing materials in winter, because of their lower demand – cheaper, and often deliver them to the object is possible either in the dry hot summer, or in winter frost due to lack of a normal road.
Let us weigh the pros and cons of winter roofing construction.
- Short daylight hours, respectively longer construction time in the absence of additional lighting;
- Probability of very low temperatures and heavy snowfall;
- Inability to work with bituminous roofing materials (flexible shingles);
- More energy costs for lighting the facility and heating the builders;
- Absence of rain, it is possible to dismantle the roof completely, without taking furniture out of the house, is very important in the reconstruction of the roof, remodeling or superstructure of the attic floor;
- Roofing materials are much cheaper, everything is available, production and delivery times are minimal;
- Ability not to stop the construction cycle – autumn walls, winter roofing, spring finishing. As a rule, finishing is a moisture-intensive process and requires increased ventilation of the room, which can not be provided at -20C frost, and if in winter during the finishing work flows the roof – believe me, roofers in most cases it has nothing to do with condensation in the conduct of wet finishing work;
- The opportunity to choose the best specialists as contractors, because winter is not an active season;