Liver cancer is the 5th most common oncology in men and the 7th in women. It shows exceptional aggression, causing damage to neighboring organs by germination and metastasis. In addition, this tumor often metastasizes to the lungs (more than 50% of cases). In such a situation, saving lives and restoring health allows contacting high-class oncologists at the best hospitals in Europe and the US. Therefore, we constantly monitor the reputation of the world’s oncological clinics. This article will tell you where liver cancer is better treated and how to choose a clinic and a country.
Criteria for selecting the best hospitals for liver cancer
When planning treatment for liver cancer, the patient must take into account many factors:
- Modern technologies. It is essential to study the latest developments in liver cancer treatment and check whether they are used in the hospital. For example, stereotactic radiosurgery or ablation.
- In some hospitals, there are specialized gastroenterological and hepatological oncology departments. The patient gets to a specialized center, and all the necessary doctors are immediately connected to the treatment process.
- Multidisciplinary approach. In specialized centers, several doctors of various specialties work with the patient individually and decide on treatment together.
- The attending oncologist. Half of the patients go not to a specific hospital but to a certain doctor. In particular, this applies to pediatric oncologists and doctors specializing in rare illnesses. When choosing a doctor, evaluate his knowledge, work experience, and the methods that he uses.
When a patient comes to AiroMedical, we carefully study his medical history and select several doctors and a list of hospitals in different countries specifically for his illness. In some clinics, doctors check the patient’s MRI, CT, and other examinations and give a second opinion and a treatment plan. In others, only a preliminary plan with a cost. The patient has several second opinions and treatment plans in his hands. Then, he can choose a more comfortable option. And we will tell you how these options differ.
Top hospitals for liver cancer treatment in the United States
Massachusetts General Hospital Boston
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Stanford University Medical Center
Benefits of medical treatment in the US
Here are some reasons to choose liver cancer treatment in the US:
- Modern installations for remote radiotherapy.
- Minimally invasive and robot-assisted surgeries can save the affected liver and restore its functions.
- Doctors with a worldwide reputation, excellent equipment, and the presence of laboratories and institutes allow well-known hospitals in the US to perform the most complex interventions.
Top hospitals for liver cancer treatment in Europe
University Hospital Frankfurt am Main of Goethe-University, Germany
University Hospital Vienna (AKH), Austria
University Hospital Charite Berlin, Germany
European Institute of Oncology Milan, Italy
Benefits of medical treatment in Europe
When choosing a list of hospitals in Europe, patients are guided by the following:
- A multidisciplinary team of oncologists, endovascular surgeons, and clinical specialists with extensive experience.
- Modern installations for radiotherapy and instruments for TACE from the world’s leading manufacturers.
- Fruitful scientific activity, thanks to which all advanced research is continuously introduced into everyday clinical practice.
Top hospitals for liver cancer treatment in Czechia
Proton Therapy Centre Prague
University Hospital Bulovka Prague
University Hospital Motol Prague
Benefits of medical treatment in Czechia
Several advantages of the list of hospitals in Czechia:
- A full range of radical and palliative surgery for liver cancer.
- Targeted therapy with the latest drugs, including Sorafenib.
- Leading doctors with extensive treatment experience.
Top hospitals for liver cancer treatment in Spain
Teknon Medical Centre Barcelona
University Hospital de Navarra Pamplona
University Hospital Quironsalud Madrid
Benefits of medical treatment in Spain
Why you should choose liver cancer treatment in Spain:
- A personal therapy protocol based on the vulnerability of liver cancer to specific treatment (ablation or targeted therapy, or embolization).
- Organ-preserving operations of any complexity.
- The latest treatment methods, such as HIFU therapy.
Top hospitals for liver cancer treatment in Germany
University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden
University Hospital Ludwig-Maximilians Munich
Benefits of medical treatment in Germany
Success in liver cancer treatment in hospitals in Germany is primarily due to the following:
- Only those drugs and techniques that have passed clinical trials are introduced into medical practice.
- Gentle techniques preserve healthy areas of the liver as much as possible.
- A comfortable stay and an appropriate level of liver cancer treatment by world-renowned specialists.
Best liver cancer doctors worldwide
The best specialists with extensive experience:
Prof. Dr. med. Thomas Werner Kraus, MBA, FACS
Prof. Dr. med. Helmut Friess
Prof. Dr. Luca Aldrighetti
Prof. Dr. med. Thomas J.Vogl
Prof. Dr. Diez-Caballero Alonso Alberto
Prof. Dr. med. Harald-Robert Bruch, MSc, PhD
Best treatment solutions for treating liver cancer
For liver cancer, hospitals in the US and Europe use both traditional and innovative methods. Some of them:
- Proton therapy. It is available only in a short list of hospitals worldwide. It affects the tumor with a high radiation dose without damaging the surrounding tissues.
- Radiofrequency ablation. A thin needle under ultrasound control is brought to the tumor, supplying a current.
- HIFU therapy is the treatment of cancer using high-intensity focused ultrasound. It reduces the tumor in 79% of patients.
- Oncologists “train” the immune system to purposefully destroy cancer cells using certain drugs.
- The doctor injects the drugs heated to 42°C into the patient’s abdominal cavity.
- A needle injects microcapsules with a radioactive yttrium-90 into the hepatic artery. Irradiation affects only malignant cells.
How to get treatment in the best clinics for liver cancer
The organization of liver cancer treatment is associated with many subtleties and nuances that can take precious time from the patient. Establishing a connection with the hospital, sending the necessary documents, planning a trip, and subsequent treatment will not be easy to cope with all this alone.
AiroMedical is a place that unites the best doctors, high-quality medical care, and maximum patient comfort. We have created a one–of–a–kind medical coordination system that allows us to organize diagnostics and treatment “from and to” – from the first call until your return home, without queues and tedious waiting. For your convenience, the specialists of AiroMedical have developed comprehensive programs that consider all the nuances of the disease.
Book a treatment program for liver cancer, and trust us to take care of your recovery.
- Popel A. Liver cancer treatment. AiroMedical. Updated January, 2023. https://airomedical.com/search/liver-cancer
- Bacalbasa N., Balescu I., Cretoiu D., Halmaciu I., Dimitriu M. Determination of whether HIPEC is beneficial in patients with synchronous peritoneal and liver metastases from colorectal cancer. National library of medicine. Published September 07, 2021. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8456510/
- Volvak N. Liver cancer guide. AiroMedical. Updated March 15, 2023. https://airomedical.com/blogs/disease-guides/liver-cancer-guide
- Volvak N. Ablation therapy for liver cancer. AiroMedical. Updated January 14, 2023 https://airomedical.com/blogs/treatment-guides/ablation-for-liver-cancer-treatment
- Volvak N. Transarterial chemoembolization for liver cancer treatment. AiroMedical. Updated January 14, 2023 https://airomedical.com/blogs/treatment-guides/transarterial-chemoembolization-for-liver-cancer-treatment