The pressing technology gives the chance to make forms unusual for kitchen boards, for example, with an insert, a tray, a box for knives, and others. Thanks to this variety, beautiful and practical panels are made of bamboo, which will decorate your kitchen and please the eye as a decorative ornament. Bamboo is also used to make many plates and dishes for serving in various shapes and sizes, which are used to help food to the table.
Advantages of bamboo boards
- Bamboo boards are challenging, so they practically do not scratch and remain smooth.
- They are resistant to abrasion, even when constantly working with a knife, so they are more durable than wood.
- Bamboo products do not absorb moisture and various odors.
- Bamboo is one of the lightest materials in the kitchen, so the boards are lightweight and easier to use and store.
- Bamboo boards are easy to clean and dry quickly.
- Another advantage of working with a knife on a bamboo board is its quietness because they are considered the most silent.
Disadvantages of bamboo boards
- The hardness of bamboo boards is also their disadvantage, as they are almost 20% harder than wooden ones. It dulls knives faster and needs to be sharpened more often.
- Even before the disadvantages – bamboo can absorb the dye from the product, such as beets.
- Although bamboo boards are solid and hard on them, it is strictly forbidden to use a kitchen ax and a hammer for beating. After all, the surface of the board is complicated due to the content of glue, which is not very plastic, and after the blows, a piece of glue can crack. This can lead to a “chain” reaction, and the whole surface will start to crack and flake off. After that, the product can not be used and, unfortunately, such damage is not recoverable.
Before the first use, it is recommended to lubricate with warm special oil (any but always edible). Many people think that a bamboo board does not need to be lubricated, but here everything is simple – it will not absorb more oil than it can, so it is better to lubricate a little and let it dry.
Choosing the best bamboo cutting board can be complicated, that’s why we will give you a short tip:
Take a look at Royal Craft Wood bamboo cutting boards. They are sturdy yet functional and have a lot of 5 and 4 star reviews on their website and on Amazon (the most popular one:https://royalcraftwood.com/products/bamboo-cutting-board-xl-18×12).
Finishing – wipe the clean, dry board on all sides with a napkin pre-moistened with oil. If there are removable silicone or other elements on the board, they must be removed first. It is necessary to process “every centimeter.” This prevents the penetration of moisture into the bamboo fibers during further washing and will increase the life of the board.
Given that the board is constantly working with a sharp knife, fibers on the surface “cut” or “spread” the blade’s tip, and then the fibers fall into place. This can lead to the fact that over time moisture gets through these microcracks, and the board can deteriorate. Oil treatment leads to these microcracks being filled with oil, and water can not get there. Therefore, wooden and bamboo boards should be periodically lubricated with oil.
After greasing, the board should be dried by placing it on a plate or something else because drops of oil that are not absorbed by the board’s surface will drip from it. The board has dried if the oil does not remain on the hands. You can now use it.