Pregnancy is a time of many changes and challenges. It’s important to make sure that your body is as healthy as possible during this period, which starts from the moment you get pregnant. Chiropractic care can help with all kinds of issues that may arise throughout pregnancy, such as back pain or sciatica, heartburn or constipation, and even morning sickness. In this blog post, we’ll explore 7 advantages of receiving chiropractic care when you’re pregnant.
- When you’re pregnant, it’s common for your muscles to feel weak and loose. This is because the hormones that are released during pregnancy cause your ligaments to relax. This helps prepare your body for birth by making the pelvic region more flexible. However, this can lead to accidental injuries or falls, which may cause discomfort or even pain. Luckily, chiropractic care can help prevent injuries and falls by improving your balance and stability, making it easier to carry out daily tasks without feeling wobbly or at risk of tumbling down the stairs.
- The growing uterus can put pressure on veins in your legs which are responsible for blood flow back to your heart. This can cause a condition called a “pregnancy-related venous disorder,” which is characterized by pain, swelling, and varicose veins in the legs. The good news is that receiving chiropractic care during pregnancy has been shown to increase blood flow which means better circulation – this may keep your legs healthy during the pregnancy.
- Pregnancy is accompanied by a huge increase in hormones which can affect your immune system. This means that you’re more susceptible to catching colds, flu, and other viruses during this time. Luckily, chiropractic care can help improve your immune system through stimulation of your nervous system – this may mean you’re less likely to catch those bugs that seem to be going around.
- Chiropractic treatment can help you sleep better at night by relieving tension and stress in your muscles, as well as improving the alignment of your body. This may not only improve the quality of your sleep (which is vital for both you and your baby) but also help you to have a more restful pregnancy, helping to minimize the risk of miscarriage and other complications.
- Chiropractic care can not only reduce a mother’s pain during labor but may even shorten the time that she spends in labor by nearly two hours. This is due to chiropractic adjustments increasing uterine contractibility which means that the uterus contracts more strongly. This, in turn, reduces the need for medical intervention during delivery and ensures a healthier birth for both mother and baby.
- By helping you to stay active during pregnancy, chiropractic treatment can reduce your stress levels and minimize weight gain due to lack of exercise. Chiropractic care can also help to improve your posture (which will become more important after birth when you’re carrying around a newborn.) and keep your muscles strong.
- Chiropractic treatment can ease pain in mothers who have endometriosis, which is a condition that causes infertility or miscarriage, by increasing blood flow. This is because endometriosis results from cells that are similar to the ones involved in pregnancy traveling outside of the uterus where they can attach themselves to organs and cause inflammation.